The Only National Awards For Non-Medical / Non-Clinical NHS Staff & Volunteers
Individual or Team Nomination?
In these challenging times, nominators were asked to show how the nominee had demonstrated the following qualities:
- Exceptional work ethic - going above and beyond their job description, especially in the past 12 months.
- Outstanding achievement/s in work or outside of the organisation where relevant.
- Drive for innovation and proactive leadership in these challenging times.
- High level of interpersonal skills, such as kindness, empathy, loyalty and thoughtfulness to staff and patients.
- A resilience considering Covid to their role and to the health and wellbeing of their colleagues.
Nominee's story :
Kim Dwyer is a retired nurse manager who returned to the Trust via the retire and return policy approximately 8 years ago. Kim's role since her return is to manage the medicine nurse staffing bleep to support the wards and departments that are having staffing issues throughout the day. Kim assesses the staffing numbers throughout the hospital utilising the safe care tool and redeploys substantive, bank and agency nurses to ensure safe staffing throughout the directorate and throughout the Trust also. This is a very challenging role as Kim has to make difficult decisions regarding staff moves and deal with stressed, upset staff who do not always take the prospect of being redeployed well. Kim has wonderful communication skills and has built excellent relationships with staff including the agency and bank nurses that do not always feel part of the team. Kim is kind to staff and always treats them with empathy and thoughtfulness.
Kim goes over and above her role to help others and speaking from personal experience, she supports me and the other site managers by answering bleeps when the number becomes unmanageable, she attends security alerts and incidents in the Trust with us to provide support and is overall a fabulous colleague to ease the burden during very busy and demanding shifts.
Kim lives and breathes the Trust’s values especially being caring and compassionate. She is a listening ear and a great support to staff of all grades. She really is an unsung hero; one of the best.