The Only National Awards For Non-Medical / Non-Clinical NHS Staff & Volunteers
Volunteer of the year
Individual or Team Nomination?
In these challenging times, nominators were asked to show how the nominee had demonstrated the following qualities:
- Exceptional work ethic - going above and beyond their job description, especially in the past 12 months.
- Outstanding achievement/s in work or outside of the organisation where relevant.
- Drive for innovation and proactive leadership in these challenging times.
- High level of interpersonal skills, such as kindness, empathy, loyalty and thoughtfulness to staff and patients.
- A resilience considering Covid to their role and to the health and wellbeing of their colleagues.
Nominee's story :
Martin never fails to turn up to visit a dying patient who has no family close by to visit them, or to relieve a family if only for an hour, so they can have a little break. No matter how early or late in the day we contact him. He always fills his forms in informing us of how the patient was when he left and always makes an effort to return to see the patient the next day if they are still with us. He provides mouth care with their favourite tipple, reads to them, where possible plays their favourite music or just sits and holds their hand. Our team can always rely on him. If he is away doing his other work in the day he will always make time in the evening to come to the hospital if needed.(Must also thank his wife who always lets him out when we need him she is as amazing as he is) We as a Specialist Palliative Team would like to take this opportunity to thank Martin for all his kindness and visits to our dying patients in the last year and more, I am sure if they could they would thank him too. He goes above and beyond doing his volunteering work. He has a high level of interpersonal skills with patients and staff alike, very empathetic and his kindness and thoughtfulness towards everyone goes beyond words. He does not mind attending any wards and his always happy to visit the patient regardless of their situation. Always a pleasure calling Martin. Thank you.