Volunteer of the year
Individual or Team Nomination?
In these challenging times, nominators were asked to show how the nominee had demonstrated the following qualities:
- Exceptional work ethic - going above and beyond their job description, especially in the past 12 months.
- Outstanding achievement/s in work or outside of the organisation where relevant.
- Drive for innovation and proactive leadership in these challenging times.
- High level of interpersonal skills, such as kindness, empathy, loyalty and thoughtfulness to staff and patients.
- A resilience considering Covid to their role and to the health and wellbeing of their colleagues.
Nominee's story :
Alan is the epitome of what a volunteer is, caring, open, honest, helpful, empathetic, and genuine. He always puts the patient at the heart of everything he does and is a ray of sunshine. Alan gets involved in everything he does from video calls to connect patients and families, delivering items from the patient’s collection point, supporting patients home in the volunteer discharge car. He is also supporting delivering birthday cards to those patients who have their birthday whilst staying in hospital. Alan goes above and beyond on every shift, striving to make things better.
Alan also takes the time to train new volunteers, particularly the younger ones. His warm, gentle character means that everyone feels at ease in his presence and people thoroughly enjoy working with him.
In addition to undertake his everyday voluntary duties, Alan will often undertake additional shifts, particularly if the trust is under pressure during internal incident or industrial action. This makes a huge difference to both patients and staff and enhances their experience whilst they are in the hospital.
Alan demonstrates an incredible sense of empathy, is very loyal to the volunteer service and the hospital.
Its hard to put into words what Alan does but his volunteering duties mean that samples get taken to the labs quicker, patients are out of pain quicker as he will support pharmacy to deliver drugs and he will put anyone visiting the hospital at ease.
Alan is an asset to the service and hospital and we are incredibly lucky that he is part of our team.